What your doctor in Upper East Side, NY, wants you to know about birth control counseling
Birth control is a vital part of family planning and you should consider carefully which method is best for you. Your doctor can help you make the right choice. Dr. Sharon Diamond in Upper East Side, NY, wants to share some information with you about several of the birth control options available.
Popular birth control choices are hormonal contraceptives including:
- A birth control pill; a small pill taken daily which releases hormones to prevent pregnancy
- A skin patch; a small patch attached to your skin which releases hormones gradually to prevent pregnancy
- A vaginal ring; a flexible plastic ring inserted into your upper vagina which releases hormones to prevent pregnancy
- A birth control shot; an injection of hormones which is administered every 3 months
- An implant; a small rod-like device which releases hormones to prevent pregnancy. The implant is placed into your upper arm and can last up to 3 years.
Another option is an intrauterine device, commonly known as an IUD. An IUD is inserted into your uterus and remains inside for varying periods of time. The insertion is a minor procedure which is done in Dr. Diamond’s office. There are IUDs which contain hormones and can be left in place for 3 to 5 years. The advantages of these are that they commonly reduce the amount and duration of menstrual flow as well as cramping that may accompany the period. There is also a non-hormonal IUD which can be left in place for up to 10 years.
Other birth control options include condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, sponges, and spermicide. In addition to offering protection from pregnancy, condoms also help prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases or STDs.
Selecting a method of birth control is an important decision and one you don’t need to make alone. You deserve to know all of your options and your doctor will be happy to discuss them with you. For more information about birth control counseling and other gynecological services, call Dr. Sharon Diamond in Upper East Side, NY. Make an appointment for birth control counseling by calling (212) 876-2200 today!